Site Translator

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rare Primate Rediscovered



I believe we also have a similar endemic species here; the Philippine tarsier of Bohol and Palawan. I had a pic of me taken holding some in the palm of my hand when I went somewhere along the Loboc River in Bohol some years back (this was of course before the stricter laws forbidding the practice). They're really strange micro-sized creatures with their big bulging eyes, resembling a cross between a monkey, a rat and a tree frog. They could leap and dart quickly among the branches and were said to be nocturnal.

Stories like these give me hope that we haven't totally FUBAR'ed the environment. Yet a great deal of work still needs to be done to minimize, if not reverse, what we've damaged. The link below -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081118/sc_nm/us_primate_indonesia#full

No comments: