Site Translator

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Design Discussion on Multi-tools



Susmaryosep! Ummm. . . no thank you. 

I've had a few of these innovative and very useful tools in my life, specifically the ones that are "pliers-based" in their design platform (since a Swiss Army folding knife could also be considered a multi-tool). 

My first was a Leatherman PST which was the original and base design by the American company that invented these kinds of tools. Then, I got the tiny Sebertech M4 from a kindly relative which I didn't care for too much and gave away.  Later, I got a used, early model SOG Powerlock in black finish which was more robust and better equipped, also American. The ones from the Swiss Victorinox seem to be made with a high grade of fit and finish. 

Beyond those three better-known brands I mentioned, there are dozens more from other manufacturers with their own variations on the theme. It's those three, IMHO, that seem to be the best of the bunch. The video below is by a well-known gear reviewer from Youtube. It's more than a half-hour long though, but he does present good points regarding design, application and daily use. 

"The Multi-tool Continuum"

No comments: